Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What's in a name?

If you think I would let a little thing like a "Broken Butt" stop me from going ice fishing, think again!!
I didn't say it was without some obvious pain, butt I wasn't to miss another trip to the lake.
Today I loaded up my gear, ice auger and headed to the drop off place where I was to meet Sid.
I have driven the route a gillion times, butt this was the first time I cut the corner at the intersection of the Spur Highway. My outside dual on the left rear hit the cement curb, tossing the rear of my truck into the air along with the sad remains of my poor old tail-bone. The event ended with a sharp downward slam onto the truck seat followed by a heart- wrenching stab of pain that was indescribable.
Once I had wiped the tears from my eyes, I smiled and thought things could be worse. Sure enough in a short while things certainly got worse.
I crawled into Sid's Argo atv. and we were off down the 5 mile trail to the lake.
What once was nice soft snow was now a solid frozen trail of lumps and bumps that defies description. It had been raining for days and now had dropped into the low 20's and everything was locked up tight.
The seat in the Argo was only wide enough for two people to sit. The only restitution I had was to roll over on one cheek to keep the bad place from absorbing the jolts of the rough trail. Five miles is a long ways to punish the only cheek that I could use, butt it was a lot better than what was second best!
We managed to catch our limits of fish and it was a nice crisp, sunny afternoon. Even with all of the pain, it was a trip that won't soon be forgotten.
I decided to re-name the lake from "Spirit Lake" to "Broke Butt Lake", to commemorate the trip that will forever be burned into my unforgettable adventures.
I also may re-name my home from "Shadow Mountain Lodge", to "Broke Butt Mountain Lodge"because that was the place of my ill-fated fall.
I had named the Lodge after Lin, whose pet-name is "Shadow". She hasn't taken to the name change very well so far. I don't think she likes the idea of "Shadow" being replaced with the likes of "Broke Butt". The only problem is, she knows where I sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home