Sunday, June 11, 2006

Bubba and the set-net

Well, I have been busy with a "Bear Safety- Moose Calling" seminar.
We packed the house out last night. I was doing some training for the locals for the North American Moose Foundation banquet next week end. I'm holding a moose calling contest for the state championship at the banquet.
Tomorrow my fishing partner and I are beginning to set up camp on the beach . We are running an anchor out about 600 feet at low tide. It will have a pully and a loop of rope tied back up on the beach near camp. We will be able to pull the set net, which will be floating, from the bank, to remove the salmon. A few family members will be coming down to get their supply of salmon.
I'm really looking forward to fish camp. We will run the set net for about a week. By then we'll have several hundred salmon caught. We are allowed 35 fish each, and more if a family has kids. I'm also doing a video documentary of the event for anyone interested. It's just one more kool thing we get to do up here each year. I'll also be digging more big clams at low tide.
Moose season is less than 3 months away. I"m also getting ready for that.
The king salmon are running in the Kenai River below my house. I'll play with a fishing pole when I have all of my fish in the freezer. Right now I have a problem of where to put more fish. I have three big freezers and they are still full of moose, salmon, halibut and clams from last year. Guess I'll be giving more meat away this summer. Such a hassle, huh?
I suppose that most folks like the safety of the suburbs of California. Most folks can't handle the stress of a long move, and being far away from old friends.
Then there are the adventurers who long for the land of the wilderness. Folks who have to live an adventure every day and can't stand growing old without living their dream. A "rut" is a grave with both ends kicked out.
Too soon we wake up and our health has left us inable to walk the wilderness trails. Too late to do what we always wanted to do and we find that our lives have been stamped out just like a cookie cutter. We were just like so many others.
I am kicking on 64 my next birthday. I came to the North Land when I was 26. My only regret was I waited so long. I have lived the life of adventure that most only dream about and I'm a long way from slowing up. It's a dirty job, but some one has to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home