Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Salmon in the Freezer!!

I have been quiet lately due to running a set net in Cook Inlet.
My fishing partner and I caught 69 red salmon and one king in four days.
For those who don't know what a set-net is... It is a gill-net that salmon swim into and tangle their gills and can't get loose.
We put a metal stake out in the tidal flats at low tide, tie on a 15 ft. Rope attached to a big buoy.
We then tie a pulley to the stake and run a rope back to another stake and pulley on the bank, creating and endless loop of rope. We then tie a 60X10 ft. gill net to the line. This allows us to pull the net in when it fills with salmon.
It was my first time to use a net, and it will be done for years to come. It is a quick way to get our fish supply in so we can get ready for moose season.
I had my freezer set up in camp along with a vacuum-sealer. In less than 30 minutes the salmon went from the sea into the freezer.
Later on I will catch salmon down in the Kenai River below my house using a fishing pole. Just for some fun.
Monday I'm going back to the beach and dig the big razor and red-neck clams. The limit is 60 clams, which fills a 5 gal. Bucket.
Sigh...Wish I had something to do...So boring!
In two months we will be in moose camp, high in the Caribou Hills. We will be there for a month.
My brother, his wife and son-in-law will be joining us.
Last year we harvested three large bull moose, which will last each family for a year. We believe it much better than beef, with very low fat and no "growth hormones".
I suppose this pioneer life-style sounds a bit primitive to city dwellers. I know folks in California who won't buy anything unless it comes from the local store. The thought of harvesting their own food is not only unnecessary, but it can't be fit to eat.
What they don't know probably will hurt them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home