Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Ain't Over Yet

The bear stayed away for three nights, then at 0300 this morning, it made a big mess out of the neighbors freezer.It had to happen during a miserable rain storm with the wind blowing hard.I knew when the phone rang, it was going to get ugly again.
We picked up dozens of packages of frozen food that was rolled in sand and mud. The door of the freezer was also as muddy as it could get.We stood watch for an hour, but as usual a no-show.
The gal next door called the local Fish and Fin who were sympathetic. They don't seem much interested.
The bear or most likely bears, hit others last night scattering garbage and things down the street.It looks like a large boar and a large sow with a big cub are the ones guilty of the terror attacks. All three have been seen at different times ripping things up. The sow slammed the side of a friends pick up a couple of nights ago, scaring the snot out of him. He was coming down the driveway as she was leaving. I guess she didn't want to move over.
The boar operates independently of the sow and cub. They seem to be competing to see how much stuff they can break in to. The whole situation is a mess. Once the bears learn that they can find food by breaking into things, they will always be a problem.
Some say "The bears were here first". Well, I have been here for a lot more years than these outlaws. I try to live in harmony with them and for the most part we get along very well. However they sometimes get lazy, like a lot of two-legged critters that I know. I'm going to stand guard every night until we have their freezer moved.
I've heard that the Fish n Fin used to dump bad bears here on the Peninsula, that were causing trouble elsewhere.I do know we have more bear maulings here than the rest of the state combined. It does look like we have a nice gene-pool of nasty critters. Although the local authorities won't admit it, we have far too many bears here than anywhere else. We really don't have than much growth, but things are expanding slowly.Something has to "give" soon.
What we need is some factual bear management, which we don't have. We haven't had a bear season in many years because a dozen or so of bears are killed by folks protecting their property each year.So we now have an over abundance of bears.
Don't mistake me for one who thinks we should kill all of the bears. Some of you will surely try to pin that on me.Read other blogs and you should figure that out.
I just know things are out of order right now with no relief in sight.Until then, I will spend some sleepless nights doing what the local experts won't do!I could just sit quietly like most, but I know that the freezer next door is ten feet away from the sliding door on the kitchen. Inside is a gal with three little kids that I happen to think the world of.If the freezer is moved, as hopefully it will be today, I wonder what a hungry 1000 pound bear will do??
Personally I don't like the odds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home